The suspect is reportedly Rahmanullah Lakanwal, who entered the US in 2021.
Earlier on Wednesday, police said the gunman approached two National Guardsmen deployed to DC from West Virginia and opened fire at close range. Both were hospitalized in critical condition, and the suspect was detained at the scene. Police said they have not yet established a motive.
According to CBS News, the suspect fired between 10 and 15 shots and was shot four times himself.
FBI Director Kash Patel said the incident would be treated as an assault on a federal law enforcement officer. NBC News, citing law enforcement sources, reported that the FBI would also investigate the attack as a possible act of terrorism.
DETAILS TO FOLLOW
">The alleged assailant reportedly entered the US in 2021
A 29-year-old Afghan national has been identified as the suspect in the ambush-style attack on two National Guard members in Washington, DC, multiple news outlets reported, citing law enforcement sources.
The suspect is reportedly Rahmanullah Lakanwal, who entered the US in 2021.
Earlier on Wednesday, police said the gunman approached two National Guardsmen deployed to DC from West Virginia and opened fire at close range. Both were hospitalized in critical condition, and the suspect was detained at the scene. Police said they have not yet established a motive.
According to CBS News, the suspect fired between 10 and 15 shots and was shot four times himself.
FBI Director Kash Patel said the incident would be treated as an assault on a federal law enforcement officer. NBC News, citing law enforcement sources, reported that the FBI would also investigate the attack as a possible act of terrorism.
DETAILS TO FOLLOW
from RT World News https://ift.tt/DcrRwT8